Checking manually used to be easy and accurate. These days, however, your individual device, your location, Google’s interface language and your past search history, will all affect the rank that you see.
That's why non-biased results, like you get with Rankitor, are essential information for your business or for your own clients.
If you see different rankings:
- Make sure the URL and keywords were entered without any typos.
- Check if the location, language and device were set as your manual checks.
- If this is a new rank (just changed), wait a few days to see where the rank stabilizes. It usually means that a change is being rolled out. Different Google data centers return different rankings, and in this case, it's better to wait and see where it stabilizes.
- Google still applies personalization — even in incognito mode / private browsing, in the ad preview tool, etc.
Google geo-targets your real location and also applies other info that is has about you, which can affect the order of the results.
This is especially true for local / snack pack / videos on Google's first results page, and of course mobile local results.
You may be able to check it with a proxy/VPN from the location set at country level.
- It is impossible to manually remote-check rankings from city/neighborhood/zip code level!
If you are not located at the location used in your setting, or if you don't use a proxy/VPN from the exact location in your settings, you will not get accurate results.
- Keep in mind that when choosing google.com as the search engine, its default country is the US.
If you need to monitor ranks for people from another country/location, for a keyword on google.com, make sure that you select the location when adding the URL/keywords.
For Google local sites (google.ccTLD): If you did not add a location, the default country is automatically set by the domain. You will receive what most people searching from that country, see for the keyword, on the specified Google local site.
If you would like to track it for a target audience from another country/location, make sure to add that particular location when adding the URL/keywords.
Rankitor is 100% accurate. We perform clean searches of the keyword with your settings, and you can rely on our results.